All bomb threats are to be reported to the Public Safety Office at the Loop Campus (312-362-8400) or the Lincoln Park Campus (773-325-7777). Upon receipt of a bomb threat, the Public Safety dispatcher will notify their officers immediately after calling 9-1-1 .
The Public Safety Dispatcher shall:
- Notify the Chicago Police Department of the situation and request that they stand by to notify the Bomb and Arson Unit in the event an object is found;
- Notify Public Safety supervisors at both Loop and Lincoln Park Campuses;
- Deploy appropriate personnel to conduct a search of the relevant areas; and
- Instruct all personnel engaged in the search not to use radios in the affected area.
The supervising Public Safety officer of the threatened campus will:
The Director of Public Safety or the appropriate administrative command person will notify the Public Relations and Communications Department, in a bonafide situation.
- Obtain the assistance of personnel familiar with working in the affected area in the search;
- Coordinate the search by Public Safety and other personnel;
- Consult the non-public safety administrative person in charge of the affected area about feasibility of evacuation; and
- Notify the Director of Public Safety or the appropriate administrative command person, in conformance with the departmental notification, of the situation and advise on the feasibility of evacuation.
In the event that an object is found:
- The Chicago Police Department will be notified in person or by telephone that the Bomb and Arson Unit is required;
- The evacuation of the affected area will be ordered, jointly, by the ranking Public Safety person and the non-Public Safety person on the scene;
- The deployed Public Safety personnel will isolate the affected area, assist in the evacuation, and open all windows in the affected area; and
- The evacuees will be sent to a site that is sufficiently distant from the area.