In the event of a chemical spill or any other accident or emergency involving hazardous materials, individuals should be advised to:
- Call Public Safety and/or 9-1-1 from the nearest telephone;
- Evacuate the area immediately;
- Do not attempt to mop up or contain the spill; and
- Do not re-enter the contaminated area until given the all-clear by Public Safety personnel.
If possible, personnel should be prepared to provide the following information when coordinating with emergency personnel:
- Name and quantity of the chemical/material spilled;
- Location of the spill (building name and room number)
- Information regarding anyone injured or otherwise contacted by the material; and
- A description of any fire or explosion caused by or occurring nearby the spill.
In addition to Public Safety, the Office of Risk Management and Environmental Health & Safety should be promptly notified of all chemical and other toxic substance incidents, even if no injury or damage of facilities has occurred or is apparent at the time.